71. Fantasies (2009) – Metric
72. Vampire Weekend (2008) – Vampire Weekend
73. The Boy With No Name (2007) – Travis
74. The Ecstatic (2009) – Mos Def
75. Show Your Bones (2006) – Yeah Yeah Yeahs
76. Come to Where I’m From (2000) – Joseph Arthur
77. Accelerate (2008) – R.E.M.
78. 19 (2008) – Adele
79. Writer’s Block (2007) – Peter Bjorn and John
80. Learn to Sing Like a Star (2007) – Kristin Hersh
comments: The first two of any 2009 albums appear here. It’s hard to judge whether or not Fantasies or The Estatic have staying power, but I can’t stop playing either and both will be at the top of my year end list. Accelerate was a return to form for R.E.M. And 19 was worthy of Adele’s Grammy
There’s a good reason why I didn’t do this earlier. Last year I lost my commute via public transportation. I didn’t give all the albums I got the same listen I used to. So I didn’t feel right judging them. After being laid off, I’ve had more time to ruminate. I know you’ve been waiting. The lack of A Rubber Door’s official recommendation is the one thing I can point to hurting the music industry this year.
I promise to make it up – the best of 2009 is coming within the week.
Honestly without M. Ward – this may not make the list. More Him, less She (Zoey Deschanel). And he listened – a new M. Ward album this year. (OK – I just relistened to You Really Got a Hold On Me – maybe it was the right amount of She)
My Favorites: Why Do You Let Me Stay Here, You Really Got a Hold On Me