Looks like alternative radio has finally returned to Philadelphia. Radio 104.5 is playing what they call adult alternative. For those that have been here a few years, it’s a watered down Y100 (which was a watered down WDRE). Anyway it’s nice that there is someone that will play bands like Interpol and Killers here in the city. That said, they seem to only play the hits. Yes they might play Talking Heads and Flaming Lips – but it’s the songs you already know and that’s cool, but my iPod already does that. I want to hear something a little different. It’s early yet, and I’ll be listening to see if they gain a bit more electiveness – but right now they rate a C+. Listen and tell me what you think (you can listen online)
On to the best CDs I’ve heard this year. I’ll do this in multiple parts. I have quite a few more to add to this list.
Best CDs of 2007
- Palms and Runes, Tarot and Tea: A Michael Penn Collection – Michael Penn – If your a fan, the remakes and alternate takes are worth the price of only $10 and if you aren’t a fan, this is a great intro into one of the best singer/songwriters of our generation
- Armchair Apocrypha – Andrew Bird – A simply exquisite album. Reminds me of a cross between Sufjan Stevens, Arcade Fire, and Andy Stochansky – but better. This album simply demands that you listen to it in its entirety.
- Back to Black – Amy Winehouse – Sometimes it’s a little too honest in it’s retro styling, but it’s still a lot of fun and a great listen
- Broom – Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin – Not because Yeltsin passed this year – but this was a big miss from 2006
- The Dust of Retreat – Margot & The Nuclear So and So’s – Another big miss from 2006. Very subtle.
- Learn to Sing Like a Star – Kristen Hersh – One of her best. She risks a lot in her music; not doing the same thing she’s done in the past, or that anyone else does
- Jarvis – Jarvis Cocker – I love almost every song on this album from the former Pulp frontman. If you like Pulp – get this, and if you don’t – still get it.
- New Magnetic Wonder – The Apples in Stereo – Truly an incredibly accessible and catchy cd. Poppy and summerlike. Great CD.
More CDs from this year later. Tell me your favorites.