It seems that every January is marked by me going through all the “Best of” lists and buying or downloading things I missed during the year. This year is no different. My January list is full of new Christmas gifts (thanks to everyone all the iTunes gift cards I got). Here are a few things I happened to miss.
- Cold War Kids - Robbers & Cowards - The singer reminds me of Adam Levine of Maroon 5 – but the band has much more spice to it
- The Decemberists – The Crane Wife – All I can say about missing this one is that their major label release wasn’t on eMusic, so I skipped it. Thanks to Kristen, that mistake was rectified. More accessible than the last cd without them selling out
- Manchester Orchestra – I’m Like a Virgin Losing a Child - They’ve been on my radar, but I never got around to listening. Very good indie band
- Margot & The Nuclear So & So’s – The Dust of Retreat – A beautiful CD that easily would have been in my top CD list if I had found it sooner
- The Bittersweet – The Life You Always Wanted – The Grey’s Anatomy Crowd will like this one
January also marks the time to look forward to what’s coming. Of course there’s Michael Penn’s new retrospective Palms and Runes, Tarot and Tea: A Michael Penn Collection will be released on April 17th. But there’s more that’s out or coming soon to look forward too:
- The Shins – Wincing the Night Away – already out and one of the best of the year – mark it down
- Ron Sexsmith – Time Being – This singer/songwriter should get more notice than he gets
- Kristin Hersh – Learn to Sing Like a Star – Prolific former lead singer of the Throwing Muses releases her 5th post Muses release (she also has released two CDs with her side band 50 Foot Wave)
Add to this an upcoming release by the newly reformed Crowded House -and 2007 is looking really big for music.