So Wednesday is the Grammys and Kanye West has said that he would be pissed if he didn’t win. Now honestly I don’t pay much attention to the Grammys since it happens to suck but reading Entertainment Weekly last week I discovered the album of the year nominees and now I know why Kanye would be pissed; if he loses to this crap it’s just theft:
- The Emancipation Of Mimi – Mariah Carey – Give me a fucking break. Is this one of the best of 2005?
- Chaos And Creation In The Backyard -Paul McCartney – Bob Dylan, Ray Charles, now McCartney. They have to nominate an old man to steal the award. Nevermind that the best years are behind them
- Love. Angel. Music. Baby. – Gwen Stefani – See Mariah Carey above
- How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb – U2 – Not even in U2’s top 5 – barely in their top 10
- Late Registration – Kanye West – By far the best of this sorry lot
It’s funny how the Grammy Awards have become the American Music Awards – at least the American Music Awards of my youth. One can only imagine the drivel that that show has become. Their nominations are lazy and marketing driven. I don’t mean marketing in the sense of the Oscars where there is out and out campaigning for awards. Look at that list above – it’s a demographic wet dream. Curvacious black R&B singer. Boomer rock star (and former Beatle). White pop chick. Current rock icon. Finally the rap superstar of the moment. This was put together by some men in a back room.
For note – I’ll be watching Lost and then Veronica Mars. Thank god no one’s afraid to program against the Grammys anymore.